In 1542, Claude Pollens, the last abbot of L’Abbaye du Lac de Joux, as L’Abbaye was called at the time, handed over the means of the monastery to His Excellency of Bern.
Claude Pollens then attached himself to the new doctrine, got married and received the land of Cuarnens as life annuity. The monks had the right to retire into the monastery of Fribourg or Franche-Comté (France). In that way a powerful abbey came to an end, after 416 years of existence.
The village of L’Abbaye takes its origin from the old abbey of Prémontré, founded between 1126 and 1134. The ribbon with three shells, that ornaments the coat of arms, originates from the weapons of the Sires of Grandson. These Sires were the founders of L’Abbaye du Lac de Joux.
The village of L’Abbaye began to develop the place the monks had abandoned. It gave its name to the Municipality of L’Abbaye, of which it became the administrative centre.